Sports bras aren’t just another item of clothing you have to find room for in the dresser drawers. They can be really important to having a successful workout. Studies have shown that proper support increases lung capacity and ensures you are using your muscles correctly. Plus, it can be painful if you don’t have the support you need! I’ve put together a short check list of things to keep in mind to help you find the right sports bra.
Here’s my list in support of finding what you need:
- Find bras with moisture-wicking fabric to keep sweat away from your skin.
- Know if/when you need a compression bra or an encapsulation bra. Compression is the basic sport bra style. Most pull over your head and “compress” the girls to minimize movement. An encapsulation bra allows for a more natural shape and is usually better for for low impact. My favorite sports bras combine the two types which are best for high impact activities, like running.
- Double up if you need to. You can wear an encapsulation bra underneath a compression style for extra support, but it’s not always the most comfortable solution. It might seem like a search with no end, but I bet you can find just the right one if you try on enough. Check out one of my favorites here.
- Wear for your activity level. If you are running or kickboxing, you are going to need more control than if you are doing yoga. Dress accordingly!
- Use the fitting rooms! Don’t be shy – get in there and try on the bras and then act like you are working out. Jump, twist, touch your toes, make sure the girls are secure!
- Don’t ever buy a bra – sports or otherwise – that is digging into your shoulders. That’s too uncomfortable to keep you going. During a tough workout, who wants to tug and pull on their undergarments?
- Finally, wash with care! Heat isn’t good for the elasticity, so wash with cold water and a delicate cycle and hang dry so your purchase lasts and lasts.
You will know you have succeeded when you aren’t even thinking about your sports bra while you workout! Don’t be afraid to try different styles until you get what you need. Support is important!
Love fashion? Want great styling tips and to shop cute clothes, while surrounded by a community of encouragement?
Join my online shopping community today! You can find us right HERE!